Definition of admit
1. To allow to enter; to grant entrance, whether into a place, or into the mind, or consideration; to receive; to take.
A ticket admits one into a playhouse.
They were admitted into his house.
To admit a serious thought into the mind
To admit evidence in the trial of a cause
2. To allow (one) to enter on an office or to enjoy a privilege; to recognize as qualified for a franchise.
To admit an attorney to practice law
The prisoner was admitted to bail
3. To concede as true; to acknowledge or assent to, as an allegation which it is impossible to deny; to own or confess.
The argument or fact is admitted
He admitted his guilt
She admitted taking drugs / she admitted to taking drugs
4. To be capable of; to permit. In this sense, "of" may be used after the verb, or may be omitted.
The words do not admit such a construction.
5. To give warrant or allowance, to grant opportunity or permission (+ of).
Circumstance do not admit of this
The text does not admit of this interpretation
6. To allow to enter a hospital or similar facility for treatment.
© Wordnet 3.1 & Wiktionary - Combined dictionary for best results.
English - English - admitv. confess to something; allow entrance; accept as valid
v. admit, accept; acknowledge; pass, allow, assume; grant; initiate, sustain, own up
English - Spanish - admitv. admitir, aceptar, acoger, confesar, recibir, reconocer; dar entrada a, dejar entrar; conceder
English - French - admitv. admettre, reconnaître; laisser entrer(quelqu'un)
English - German - admitv. zugeben
English - Italian - admitv. ammettere, far entrare, introdurre; essere valido; confessare, riconoscere; concedere; accogliere, accettare; contenere, aver posto per, ospitare
English - Portuguese - admitv. admitir; permitir
English - Russian - admitг. признавать, допускать, соглашаться; впускать, впустить, вмещать; принимать, позволять
English - Turkish - admitf. kabul etmek, itiraf etmek, almak, içeri almak, meydan vermek
English - Dutch - admitww. toegeven, bekennen; toelaten
English - Greek - admitρήμ. παραδέχομαι, επιτρέπω την είσοδον, ομολογώ, εισάγω, αναγνωρίζω
English - Chinese - admit(动) 允许进入, 承认, 接纳; 承认; 通向; 有余地, 容许
English - Chinese - admit(動) 允許進入, 承認, 接納; 承認; 通向; 有餘地, 容許
English - Japanese - admit(動) 認める; 入れる; 入場を認める
English - Korean - admit동. 인정하다, 시인하다, 승인하다; 입장을 허가하다, ...을 들이다; 허용하다
Popular terms#oblivion #skeptical #daunting #bio #normalcy #bessemer process #mahogany #aggrandize #pack #disassociate
Synonyms for admit1. permit: assent, let, allow, grant, concede, bear, agree to
2. allow to enter: receive, entertain
3. acknowledge: avow, disclose, divulge, hold, confess, declare
Verb forms for admitPresent participle: admitting
Present: admit (3.person: admits)
Future: will admit
Present conditional: would admit
Present Perfect: have admitted (3.person: has admitted)
Past Perfect: had admitted
Future Perfect: will have admitted
Past conditional: would have admitted