Definition of company
1. A team; a group of people who work together professionally.
1. A group of individuals who work together for a common purpose.
A company of actors.
2. Military A unit of approximately sixty to one hundred and twenty soldiers, typically consisting of two or three platoons and forming part of a battalion.
The boys in Company C
3. A unit of firefighters and their equipment.
It took six companies to put out the fire.
4. Nautical The entire crew of a ship.
5. Espionage Nickname for an intelligence service.
As he had worked for the CIA for over 30 years, he would soon take retirement from the company.
2. An entity having legal personality, and thus able to own property and to sue and be sued in its own name; a corporation.
3. Any business, whether incorporated or not, that manufactures or sells products (also known as goods), or provides services as a commercial venture.
4. Social visitors or companions.
Keep the house clean; I have company coming.
I treasure your company.
6. To accompany, keep company with.
7. To associate.
8. To be a lively, cheerful companion.
9. To have sexual intercourse.
© Wordnet 3.1 & Wiktionary - Combined dictionary for best results.
English - English - companyn. corporation, firm; band, ensemble; basic military unit; people who are visitors in someone's house, guests, visitor (e.g.: "I am having company for dinner tonight"); condition of being with another person or with others; companionship
v. accompany; associate with
English - Spanish - companys. compañía, consorcio, corporación, empresa, firma, sociedad; compañerismo; visitante, banda
English - French - companyn. compagnie, société; organisation, établissement, firme; corporation, ensemble, complexe; unité de base militaire, troupe
English - German - companyn. Gesellschaft, Firma; Musikband; Truppe
English - Italian - companys. compagnia; (fam) ospiti, visite; assemblea; brigata, accolta di persone, comitiva; (Comm, Econ) società, ditta, impresa; (Mar) equipaggio, ciurma
English - Portuguese - companys. corporação, firma, companhia; unidade militar básica
English - Russian - companyс. компания, собеседник, товарищество, фирма; гости; труппа, ансамбль артистов; общество; экипаж, рота, команда
English - Turkish - companyi. şirket, ortaklık, birlik; arkadaşlık, eşlik, topluluk, toplantı, misafir; bölük, tayfa
English - Dutch - companyzn. gezelschap; maatschappij; firma, vennootschap
English - Greek - companyουσ. εταιρεία, όμιλος, συντροφιά, λόχος, παρέα, συναναστροφή
English - Chinese - company(名) 公司, 交际, 友伴
English - Chinese - company(名) 公司, 交際, 友伴
English - Japanese - company(名) 会社; 集団; 軍隊; 同席; 同席者; 交際; 仲間; 来客
English - Korean - company명. 회사; 합주, 앙상블; 군중대
Popular terms#envy #interpret #plate tectonics #immanent #vacuum #heirloom #thinking #guest #venality #optional
Synonyms for company1. fellowship: association, friendship, fraternity, companionship, society, camaraderie, intercourse
2. assemblage: group, corps, circle, band, body, gang, retinue
3. corporation: enterprise, association, alliance, concern, firm, house, partnership
4. guests: guest, visitor
5. crew: team, detail, bunch, squad, outfit, crowd, platoon
Verb forms for companyPresent participle: companying
Present: company (3.person: companies)
Future: will company
Present conditional: would company
Present Perfect: have companied (3.person: has companied)
Past Perfect: had companied
Future Perfect: will have companied
Past conditional: would have companied