Definition of connect
1. To join (to another object): to attach, or to be intended to attach or capable of attaching, to another object.
I think this piece connects to that piece over there.
2. To join: to attach, or to be intended to attach or capable of attaching, to each other.
Both roads have the same name, but they don't connect: they're on opposite sides of the river, and there's no bridge there.
3. To join (two other objects), or to join (one object) to (another object): to be a link between two objects, thereby attaching them to each other.
The new railroad will connect the northern part of the state to the southern part.
4. To join (two other objects), or to join (one object) to (another object): to take one object and attach it to another.
I connected the printer to the computer, but I couldn't get it work.
5. To join an electrical or telephone line to a circuit or network.
When the technician connects my house, I'll be able to access the internet.
6. To associate.
I didn't connect my lost jewelry with the news of an area cat burglar until the police contacted me.
7. To make a travel connection; to switch from one means of transport to another as part of the same trip.
I'm flying to London where I connect with a flight heading to Hungary.
© Wordnet 3.1 & Wiktionary - Combined dictionary for best results.
English - English - connectv. join, link; be joined, be linked
English - Spanish - connectv. conectar, acoplar, empalmar, encadenar, enchufar, entroncar, eslabonar, juntar, unir; asociar, relacionar; estar conectado, hacer conexión; embragar
English - French - connectv. brancher, joindre; se brancher
English - German - connectv. verbinden, binden
English - Italian - connectv. connettere, collegare, unire, allacciare; associare; avere relazioni con, essere in contatto con; imparentare; (Tel) mettere in comunicazione
English - Portuguese - connectv. conectar, ligar; associar-se
English - Russian - connectг. соединять, связывать, связать, сочетать, ; соединяться, связываться; ассоциировать; ставить в причинную связь, сочетаться, быть согласованным
English - Turkish - connectf. bağlamak, bitiştirmek, birleştirmek, iletişim sağlamak; devreye sokmak, bağlanmak; ilgili olmak
English - Dutch - connectww. verbinden; aansluiten
English - Greek - connectρήμ. συνδέω, συνδέομαι
English - Chinese - connect(动) 连接, 连结; 给...接通电话; 联想; 联系; 连接, 连结; 衔接, 联运
English - Chinese - connect(動) 連接, 連結; 給...接通電話; 聯想; 聯繫; 連接, 連結; 銜接, 聯運
English - Japanese - connect(動) 繋ぐ; 繋がる; 接続する; 結びつける; 結ぶ; 連想する
English - Korean - connect동. 잇다, 연결하다; 연결되다
Popular terms#genotype #lie #precedence #initiate #venture capitalist #holler #trade winds #hijack #waiflike #pan out
Synonyms for connect1. turn on: switch on, wire, link, install, hook up, plug in
2. combine: fasten, couple, tie, link, adjoin, attach, conjoin
3. associate: relate, correlate, attribute, bracket, identify with, assign, equate
Verb forms for connectPresent participle: connecting
Present: connect (3.person: connects)
Future: will connect
Present conditional: would connect
Present Perfect: have connected (3.person: has connected)
Past Perfect: had connected
Future Perfect: will have connected
Past conditional: would have connected