Definition of governor
1. The leader of a region or state that is a member of a federation or an empire. In Rome, they were endorsed by the emperor and appointed by the Senate. In the modern United States, they are elected by the people of that state.
2. A device which regulates or controls some action of a machine through automatic feedback.
3. A member of a decision-making for an organization or entity (including some public agencies) similar to or equivalent to a board of directors (used especially for banks); a member of the board of governors.
The seven members of the Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System are nominated by the President and confirmed by the Senate.
5. Boss, employer.
6. A constituent of a phrase that governs another.
7. One who has the care or guardianship of a young man; a tutor; a guardian.
8. A pilot; a steersman.
© Wordnet 3.1 & Wiktionary - Combined dictionary for best results.
English - English - governorn. one who governs; executive head of a state (USA); device which automatically regulates speed (Machinery)
English - Spanish - governors. gobernador, alcaide, bajá, bajalato
English - French - governorn. gouverneur, supérieur; régulateur (d'une voiture)
English - German - governorn. Herrscher; Gouverneur; Leiter; Ventil; Regler
English - Italian - governors. governatore; sovraintendente; (sl) padrone, capo, (fam) principale; (sl) padre; (Mecc) regolatore
English - Portuguese - governors. governador; tutor; regulador (de carro)
English - Russian - governorс. правитель, губернатор, комендант, начальник, заведующий, хозяин
English - Turkish - governori. vali, eyalet valisi [amer.], yönetici, müdür (banka, hapishane), patron, baba, bey
English - Dutch - governorzn. gouverneur; bestuurder, president
English - Greek - governorουσ. νομάρχης, τοποτηρητής, κυβερνήτης, ρυθμιστής
English - Chinese - governor(名) 州长; 主管; 总督; 董事
English - Chinese - governor(名) 州長; 主管; 總督; 董事
English - Japanese - governor(名) 知事（米国）; 自動的に速さを調節する装置（機械）
English - Korean - governor명. 통치자; 지사, 주지사(미국); 조속기, 자동적으로 속도를 조절하는 장치(기계)