Definition of purchase
1. The act or process of seeking and obtaining something (e.g. property, etc.)
2. An individual item one has purchased.
3. The acquisition of title to, or property in, anything for a price; buying for money or its equivalent.
They offer a free hamburger with the purchase of a drink.
4. That which is obtained, got or acquired, in any manner, honestly or dishonestly; property; possession; acquisition.
5. That which is obtained for a price in money or its equivalent.
He was pleased with his latest purchase.
6. Any mechanical hold or advantage, applied to the raising or removing of heavy bodies, as by a lever, a tackle or capstan.
It is hard to get purchase on a nail without a pry bar or hammer.
7. The apparatus, tackle or device by which such mechanical advantage is gained and in nautical terminology the ratio of such a device, like a pulley, or block and tackle.
8. The amount of hold one has from an individual foothold or ledge.
9. Acquisition of lands or tenements by means other than descent or inheritance, namely, by one's own act or agreement.
10. To pursue and obtain; to acquire by seeking; to gain, obtain, or acquire.
11. To buy, obtain by payment of a price in money or its equivalent.
To purchase land, to purchase a house
12. To obtain by any outlay, as of labor, danger, or sacrifice, etc.
To purchase favor with flattery
13. To expiate by a fine or forfeit.
14. To apply to (anything) a device for obtaining a mechanical advantage; to get a purchase upon, or apply a purchase to.
To purchase a cannon
15. To put forth effort to obtain anything; to strive; to exert oneself.
16. To constitute the buying power for a purchase, have a trading value.
Many aristocratic refugees' portable treasures purchased their safe passage and comfortable exile during the revolution
© Wordnet 3.1 & Wiktionary - Combined dictionary for best results.
English - English - purchasen. something which has been purchased; act of purchasing, act of buying
v. buy, acquire in exchange for money; procure, obtain
English - Spanish - purchases. compra, adquisición; polipasto
v. comprar, adquirir
English - French - purchasen. achat; acquisitio; emplette; force, abattage, prise
v. acheter; acquérir, faire l'acquisition de
English - German - purchasen. Einkauf; Kauf
v. kaufen; erstehen
English - Italian - purchases. acquisto, compera
v. comprare, comperare, acquistare; conquistare, ottenere
English - Portuguese - purchases. compra; aquisição
v. comprar; adquirir
English - Russian - purchaseс. покупка, закупка; купленная вещь; ценность, стоимость; годовой доход с земли; выигрыш в силе; преимущество; механическое приспособление для поднятия и перемещения грузов
г. покупать, закупать, приобретать, приобрести, завоевать, тянуть лебедкой, поднимать рычагом
English - Turkish - purchasef. satın almak, elde etmek, kazanmak, kaldıraçla kaldırmak, manivela ile çekmek
i. satın alma, alım, mübayaa, satın alınan şey, toprak geliri, mekanik güç, makara sistemi, sıkı tutma, etki, nüfuz, vesile, dayanak noktası
English - Dutch - purchasezn. koop, aankoop, inkoop, aanschaffing, verwering, hefkracht
ww. kopen, aankopen, inkopen, aanschaffen, aanschaffen : zich aanschaffen, verwerven, opheffen, tillen, lichten
English - Greek - purchaseουσ. παλάγκο, αγορά, στήριγμα
ρήμ. αγοράζω, ψωνίζω
English - Chinese - purchase(名) 购买, 价值, 购买品
(动) 买, 购买; 用起重装置举起; 赢得, 努力取得, 获得
English - Chinese - purchase(名) 購買, 價值, 購買品
(動) 買, 購買; 用起重裝置舉起; 贏得, 努力取得, 獲得
English - Japanese - purchase(動) 買う; 獲得する
(名) 購入; 購入品; 手がかり
English - Korean - purchase명. 구입된 것; 구입
동. 사다, 구입하다; 얻다, 취득하다
Popular terms#vitreous humor #non porous #blancmange #malfunctioning #breech presentation #patent medicine #administrative director #international news #bell bottom #data output
Synonyms for purchase1. lever: tackle
2. buy: bargain, acquisition, procurement, buying, steal
3. buy: shop, acquire, get, obtain, procure
Verb forms for purchasePresent participle: purchasing
Present: purchase (3.person: purchases)
Future: will purchase
Present conditional: would purchase
Present Perfect: have purchased (3.person: has purchased)
Past Perfect: had purchased
Future Perfect: will have purchased
Past conditional: would have purchased