Definition of root
1. The part of a plant, generally underground, that anchors and supports the plant body, absorbs and stores water and nutrients, and in some plants is able to perform vegetative reproduction.
This tree's roots can go as deep as twenty metres underground.
2. A root vegetable.
3. The part of a tooth extending into the bone holding the tooth in place.
Root damage is a common problem of overbrushing.
4. The part of a hair under the skin that holds the hair in place.
The root is the only part of the hair that is alive.
5. The part of a hair near the skin that has not been dyed, permed, or otherwise treated.
He dyed his hair black last month, so the grey roots can be seen.
6. The primary source; origin.
The love of money is the root of all evil.
7. Of a number or expression, a number which, when raised to a specified power, yields the specified number or expression.
The cube root of 27 is 3.
8. A square root (understood if no power is specified; in which case, “the root of” is often abbreviated to “root”).
Multiply by root 2.
9. A zero (of an equation).
10. The single node of a tree that has no parent.
11. The primary lexical unit of a word, which carries the most significant aspects of semantic content and cannot be reduced into smaller constituents. Inflectional stems often derive from roots.
12. A word from which another word or words are derived.
13. The fundamental tone of any chord; the tone from whose harmonics, or overtones, a chord is composed.
14. The lowest place, position, or part.
15. In UNIX terminology, the first user account with complete access to the operating system and its configuration, found at the root of the directory structure.
16. The person who manages accounts on a UNIX system.
17. The highest directory of a directory structure which may contain both files and subdirectories. rfex
18. A penis, especially the base of a penis.
19. To break into a computer system and obtain root access.
We rooted his box and planted a virus on it.
20. To fix the root; to enter the earth, as roots; to take root and begin to grow.
21. To be firmly fixed; to be established.
© Wordnet 3.1 & Wiktionary - Combined dictionary for best results.
English - English - rootn. part of a plant growing underground which anchors the plant and absorbs water and nutrients; part which anchors; source, origin; base, fundamental part; number that multiplied by itself yields a given number (Mathematics)
v. plant, cause to develop roots; dig in the ground with the snout; fix in place, spellbind; cheer, encourage
n. retting, dice
English - Spanish - roots. raíz, cepejón; corazón, mera raíz
v. arraigar, enraizar
English - French - rootn. racine, source; base, fondement
v. s'enraciner, planter
English - German - rootn. Grund; Wurzel; Basis; Fundament
v. verwurzeln; fest einpflanzen; anwachsen (Pflanze)
English - Italian - roots. (Bot) radice; origine, principio, causa; (fig) fondo, essenza, centro, nocciolo; ceppo, capostipite; radicale, base radicale
v. piantare; abbarbicare; (fig) inchiodare; (fig) originare, dare origine a, produrre, causare; sradicare, estirpare, svellere
English - Portuguese - roots. raiz; origem; base, fundamento
v. arraigar, enraizar, fixar; escavar, fuçar
English - Russian - rootс. корень, корнеплод, саженец, корнеплоды; основа, основание, причина, источник; предок, основатель рода, прародитель
г. пустить корни; приковывать; подрывать корни, рыть землю рылом, поощрять, ободрять
English - Turkish - rootf. kök salmak, kökleşmek, yerleşmek, kökleştirmek, çakmak, eşelemek, burnu ile eşelemek, deşmek, araştırmak
i. kök, köken, kaynak, temel, esas neden, altında yatan neden, akortta temel nota
Dutch - English - rootn. retting, dice
English - Dutch - rootzn. wortel; oorsprong
ww. wortel schieten; geworteld zijn; wroeten, woelen; te voorschijn halen, opscharrelen
English - Greek - rootουσ. ρίζα
ρήμ. ριζώ, ριζούμαι, επευφημώ, ριζώνω
English - Chinese - root(名) 根; 根菜类; 地下茎; 根部
(动) 生根; 根源在于, 来源于; 固定; 使生根; 使固定; 使扎根; 根除; 用鼻拱翻; 搜寻; 用鼻拱土; 搜寻; 翻找; 打气; 声援; 喝彩
English - Chinese - root(名) 根; 根菜類; 地下莖; 根部
(動) 生根; 根源在於, 來源於; 固定; 使生根; 使固定; 使紮根; 根除; 用鼻拱翻; 搜尋; 用鼻拱土; 搜尋; 翻找; 打氣; 聲援; 喝彩
English - Japanese - root(動) 根付かせる; 定着させる; 鼻先で掘り返す; 声援を送る
(名) 根; 地下茎; 根元; 原因; 根源
English - Korean - root명. 뿌리; 조상; 원천; 근거, 본질; 수학에서 루트, 근
동. 뿌리를 내리다; 코로 땅을 헤집다; 고착시키다; 힘을 북돋아주다
Popular terms#ayllu #popular music #commercial invoice #off-piste #corundum #real love #binding law #miope #close the gap #drop out of school
Synonyms for root1. foundation: basis, footing, base, cause, motive, grounds, reason
2. underground plant growth: root-stock, tuber, bulb, rootlet
Verb forms for rootPresent participle: rooting
Present: root (3.person: roots)
Future: will root
Present conditional: would root
Present Perfect: have rooted (3.person: has rooted)
Past Perfect: had rooted
Future Perfect: will have rooted
Past conditional: would have rooted