Definition of character
1. A being involved in the action of a story.
2. A distinguishing feature; characteristic.
4. Strength of mind; resolution; independence; individuality; moral strength.
He has a great deal of character.
5. A unique or extraordinary individual; a person characterized by peculiar or notable traits, especially charisma.
Julius Caesar is a great historical character.
That bloke is such a character.
6. A written or printed symbol, or letter.
7. Style of writing or printing; handwriting; the particular form of letters used by a person or people.
An inscription in the Runic character
8. One of the basic elements making up a text file or string: a code representing a printing character or a control character.
9. A person or individual, especially one who is unknown or raises suspicions.
11. Quality, position, rank, or capacity; quality or conduct with respect to a certain office or duty.
In the miserable character of a slave
In his character as a magistrate
A man's character for truth and veracity
Her actions give her a bad character.
14. To write (using characters); To describe
© Wordnet 3.1 & Wiktionary - Combined dictionary for best results.
The people commented the movie in detail: if they liked the characters, they applauded – if not, they hissed at them.
Once you find what you believe in, stand by them and you will develop in character.
Others admire those people with strong characters, so this will definitely benefit you in the future.
I can be a devoted friend to you, for I admire your strength of will and your character.
The thought that all these imposing characters all belonged to Cedric’s family made him regard them as heroes.
She pulled out a large role of skin from under her bed, spread it out, and began to read the strange characters that were inscribed on it.
They told me you had been to her, and mentioned me to him: she gave me a good character, but said I could not swim — we know it to be true.
When you have need of reliable information on the subject of my character, apply to my grandson.
It is difficult to make a judgement about the character of a child of eight, he finally said.
He has good character.