Definition of spindle
1. A rod used for spinning and then winding natural fibres (especially wool), usually consisting of a shaft and a circular whorl positioned at either the upper or lower end of the shaft when suspended vertically from the forming thread.
2. A rod which turns, or on which something turns.
The spindle of a vane
3. A rotary axis of a machine tool or power tool.
4. A worldwide tree of the genus Euonymus, originally used for making the spindles used for spinning wool.
5. An upright spike for holding paper documents by skewering.
6. The fusee of a watch.
7. A long and slender stalk resembling a spindle.
8. A yarn measure containing, in cotton yarn, 15,120 yards; in linen yarn, 14,400 yards.
9. A solid generated by the revolution of a curved line about its base or double ordinate or chord.
10. Any marine univalve shell of the genus Rostellaria; a spindle stromb.
11. Any marine gastropod of the genus Fusus.
12. To make into a long tapered shape.
13. To impale on a device for holding paper documents.
Do not fold, spindle or mutilate this document.
© Wordnet 3.1 & Wiktionary - Combined dictionary for best results.
"What is it that thing that rattles round so merrily?" continued the girl; and she went to grab the spindle and put it to spinning.
However, no sooner had she touched the spindle when the spell’s decree was fulfilled: she pricked a finger with it.
The King, who wanted his beloved daughter to avoid any possible kind of misfortune, gave the orders that all the spindles in the kingdom be burnt.
A few spindles and arms managed to hold together, jerking madly as they spun away from the whirling, slowing confusion.
He reached out and set the trim weights on a spindle at the central axis of the ship.
Most laptops are two-spindle systems.
Such a spheroid collapses to form a thin "thread" or "spindle".
The spindle motor (8) moves over the round support (7) and processes the side and bottom surfaces of the product (10).
The tray 30 may be equipped with a spindle motor 31 and a pick-up base 33.
When an optical disk 10 is set on the turntable 32, the spindle motor 31 may start to rotate the optical disk 10.